India is a diverse landscape filled with hopes, dreams, opportunities and ambition. Laced within the soil of this incredible nation of 130 crores, is entertainment. Be it at a local panipuri stall, or, homes and offices, Indians are always united by a single common bond – games.
As the world moves forward at light speed, we Indians are not keen on falling behind. A 2021 statistics report by EY, shows that India’s online gaming market grew by 28% to reach a stunning Rs. 101 billion crores in market size. Growing within the canopy of online gaming, is a sport not new to us Indians – online gambling.
Currently, statistics indicate that 40% of internet users of the country indulge in online gambling. Additionally, at least 80% of the adults of India have gambled once in their lifetime. Despite heavy restrictions, Indians actively indulge in multiple forms of gambling via card games, skill-based games, lotteries, etc.
Thus, if you want to capitalise and become a part of this growing community, we recommend you place your bets right away. Don’t worry if you’re a beginner either. We’ve concocted a list of know-hows to get into different avenues of online gambling, the types of games available, and how quickly you can make the most of the stakes you place. So, keep reading and start betting!
The World of Online Betting
Long gone are the days of walking up to a casino and placing your bet. For those of us who have regular jobs, visiting a casino may translate into an unwanted hangover before work the following day. That’s why you should turn to online betting games available widely across the nation.
First things first, you’ll need a stable internet connection. Any standard data pack will do the trick and help you place that big stake on the table! Return to this article once you have got stable internet connectivity locked and are ready to go.
1. First Step to a World of Entertainment
Now that you’re connected to a stable connection, let’s get a few basic points ironed out. The world of online gambling is vibrant, vast, and wide. This very element may cause beginners to lose their way and fall into the trap of fake websites. To avoid this, you’ll need to ask yourself the following questions:
- What’s your betting niche? Is it cricket? Is it football? Or do you prefer the classic and evergreen bond casino games?
- How much are you willing to bet for your first time? (We recommend keeping the amount low. Once you get the hang of it, the sky’s the limit!)
Once you have these details sorted, you’re ready to move on to the next step – entering the world of online gambling.
2. Selecting an Online Betting Site
The world of online betting in India is like a carnival. This grand fiesta of online wager sites is enticing, colourful, and bound to catch your attention. The reason we compare it to a carnival is because each specific betting website has its unique set of features and betting games.
The list of the top 5 sites in the country include:
Alternatively, you can also try betting on offshore sites if you’ve got a bigger stomach and a bit of experience under your belt. However, this carnival can also turn out to be tricky to navigate. Thus, we’ve concocted a list of rules to follow before you select a vendor:
- Do your research before you select any vendor. Check out the reviews left by other users. Search the vendor up on google business. Check out social media and community forums for chat on the site. Whenever a site is labelled “free” look out for a service commission or a percentage they may charge for allowing you to place bets. These sites are legitimate ones. To make your life easier we have a list of credible betting sites you can check out. We’ve checked and verified each site on the list and you can be assured you’re in safe hands when wagering on any of these sites.
- Any site claiming that they have insider information, is a red flag as big as a continent. Run away at light speed and never look back. These sites usually put on such advertisements to attract new players. However, these sites can be a trap since they often lack legitimate backing.
- This rule is going to be a bit tricky. Search for vendors who are offering balanced views on bets placed. Any site offering realistic expectations on wagers is a good sign and keeps you grounded too. However, the flipside is that such sites may often bottleneck earnings on purpose. Thus, when you find such a forum, to get onto the good ones, you should follow rule number one, that’s research.
- Finally, keep a keen eye on betting odds distribution, and keep comparing sites until you find a betting odds distribution that is feasible according to your capacity. For beginners understanding this may be quite difficult. That’s why you can check our odds and tips comparisons out for a better understanding. You’ll find all the relevant details on our page to get started seamlessly.
Okay, now that we’re done with the responsible part of things, let’s move on to the fun stuff.
3. The Popular Games
The most popular online gambling games are easy, fun, and the most viable options to start with.
Sports Betting Sites
Sports betting is an in thing right now. The most popular league you may have heard of in India, is Dream 11. In this gambling style, you place a bet on your favourite team or chosen player. For instance, you can place a bet between RCB and CSK according to who you think will win. This applies to multiple leagues across the world starting from IPL to FIFA. You can also choose players and place bets on their individual performances!
Slots have massive new player incentives and can help you raise capital for bigger stakes easily. Most online casinos in the country offer free spins and a plethora of incentives for beginners. Slot games are a complete package with mini games to boost your account balance, exclusive bonuses, extra flips, stunning multipliers, and falling reels. Additionally, the aesthetic quality of these games is enhanced each passing day with superheroes, movie stars, and anything and everything that’s trivia worthy!
As classic as the dry martini, table games are the beginning of it all. Blackjack, Poker, and Roulette, never go out of fashion. Put on your virtual tux and grab a drink as you get a chance to go head to head with players from all across the world. The best wager sites in India offer multiple game style options like Texas Hold’em for Poker, classic blackjack with multi-deck options, and much more. Talk, spar, engage, and enjoy your time right at home, through your phone!
Tip: In Blackjack, knowing the rules of the game is the key to success.
Now that you’ve concluded the game you want to gamble in, the next step is in order.
4. Depositing Your Money
You can’t place a stake without the dough. Once you’ve selected your site of choice, deposit money into your betting account. We recommend you don’t go overkill on your deposits all at a go. A bit of patience will help you in the long run in this turf.
Betting sites today are increasingly adopting progressive measures. While previously the only ways to deposit money credibly were through your cards, sites today have opened up several other options. The leading gambling forums allow you to add money into your betting accounts via, UPI, PayTM, google pay, PhonePe, Online bank Transfers, etc. However, we advise you to refrain from joining betting sites that do not accept these generic payment formats. The reason is because the world of online wagers remains highly unregulated and the chance for fraud is quite high. Thus, making your decisions with a pinch of salt is in your best interest.
Once you’re done with depositing your money, you are all set to rock the show!
5. Receive a Welcome Bonus
Your online betting account deposit entitles you to a welcome bonus. Various sites have varying degrees of welcome bonuses. Most of the time these welcome bonuses are equal to the amount that you have signed up for.
Let’s break it down a bit, shall we?
For instance, you make a deposit for Rs. 6,000 in your online betting account. As a welcome bonus, the house will give you an additional Rs. 6,000. This sums up to a total usable account balance of Rs. 12,000 that you can use to place your bets.
However, different betting sites have different bonus caps. Some may be capped at a maximum of Rs. 10,000, and some may even go up to Rs. 35,000. However, sports betting bonus system is different than this. The most common type of bonus you’ll find is a boost bonus that increases your earnings on the wagers you win. Other common types of bonuses are rollovers, reloads, free bets, etc.
Without Further Ado…
Now that you’ve finally set up your account and received your welcome bonus, our job here is done. The fiesta of online gambling awaits you. We recommend you be wary of the bets you place and the amount you invest. Keep in mind that there’s always a better site out there, and if it isn’t working out for you in one game, another one is sure to bear fruit. Don’t get stuck up.
Put your party suit on and dive deep into the engaging world of online wagers right away. Always remember, what happens online, stays online!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the requirements for me to bet online?
You can start betting only with your smartphone or PC easily. There are numerous apps and websites available and easily accessible to Indians! However, do make sure betting is legal in your state.
2. Can I deposit money via UPI into my betting account?
Yes. You can deposit money via UPI into your betting account. However, you’ve to find a site which accepts this payment type. However, other convenient options like internet banking, and debit and credit cards are also available.
3. Is it legal to bet online in India?
Yes, it is legal to bet online in India in certain states. However, we recommend you check out the laws in your respective state before joining an online betting site! We have a full state by state guide on where betting is legal in India.